is the youngest neighbourhood in Buenos Aires. Its
restaurants, its tall and sumptuous buildings and
the Costanera Sur Ecological Reserve stand out.
The first port of Buenos Aires city was on the present
Riachuelo, in La Boca neighbourhood. Many years later
there was another port, a precarious one, on the
River Plate (Río de La Plata). In 1860 and due
to the increase of the volume of trade, it was necessary
the building of a suitable port. Therefore two projects
were presented, one belonged to Engineer Luis A. Huergo
and the other one to Eduardo Madero. Finally Eduardo Madero’s
project was performed. It was a polemical work, entrusted
by President Roca in 1884 and inaugurated in 1889. It
consisted of four interconnected dykes, parallel to the
coast, it had two entrances: North Dock and South Dock.
Its inefficacy was quickly proved because of the intense
maritime trade. As a consequence, in 1919, the works to
build a new port began. It was called New Port and it
was built following Huergo’s ideas. It was opened
in 1925 and it is situated in the north of Retiro. It
consists of six docks which are perpendicular to the coast.
From 1925 Madero Port became inactive. There were several
projects to reactivate the area, until in 1989 Mayor Carlos
Grosso decided to give an urban use to the port. The old
buildings called “dockes” were recycled and
transformed into modern housing and ellegant restaurants.
In 1998, it was oficially established as a new neighbourhood.
Puerto Madero is delimited by Cecilia Grierson, the continuation
of Córdoba Av., Madero Av., Huergo Av., Elvira
R.de Dellepiane, the continuation of Brasil Av and the
River Plate. The neighborhood has a very special characteristic:
its parks and streets only have the names of women who
stood out in different activities.
PLACES TO VISIT:
MADERO PORT: there are fashionable
restaurants between the docks and downtown, along
Alicia Moreau de Justo Avenue.
URUGUAY SHIP MUSEUM: at dock 4 you can
visit its deck and interior. It was built in British shipyards,
bought by Sarmiento in 1872 and launched in 1874. It was
the school ship of the Argentinian Navy.
SARMIENTO SHIP MUSEUM: it is
at dock 3. It was for many years the school ship
of the National Navy, where cadets learnt the
sailor’s job. It was also the badge ship
of the National Navy between 1899 and 1938. It
was built in England in 1898 upon requests of
the Argentinian government. You can visit its
deck and interior.
MADERO PORT: between the docks and
the River Plate, especially on Juana Manso Av, there
is a new real estate business. Several buildings stand
out, some of them are being constructed. The main
ones are LIGHTHOUSE TOWERS (TORRES DEL FARO), it is
170 meters high and it is on Calabria Av. and Azucena
Villaflor, together with Le Parc in Palermo, they
are the highest buildings in Buenos Aires; THE PORTEÑO
BUILDING whose facade reminds us of old buildings
in New York, it is on Juana Manso Av., and another
Le Parc building is being constructed on Azucena Villaflor
CLUB MADERO PORT: it is at dock 4 and
it was opened in August in 1997.
BRIDGE (PUENTE DE LA MUJER): it is
at dock 3 and it joins both sectors. It is known by
this name because it is in a neighbourhood where all
its streets carry women’s names. It is pedestrian
and it allows maritime activity because of its rotation
system. It was built by the Valencian engineer Santiago
HILTON: it is near dock 3, on Macacha
Guemes Av. and Juana Manso Av. It has a different architectonic
style in Madero Port.
TO JUAN MANUEL FANGIO: It is on Azucena
Villaflor between Manso and Paine, across from the
DaimlerChrysler Argentina building. It was inaugurated
on November 15, 2005, in recognition to the quintuple
motor racing world champion, Juan Manuel Fangio. It
is made up of a natural scale monument of the famous
driver together with his Silver Arrow, a Mercedes-Benz
SUR AV.: People know it by this name,
although it officially has the name of Intendente
Carlos Noel up to its crossing with Azucena Villaflor
and of Tristán Achaval Rodríguez up
to the end of it. It was opened in 1924, and it was
for several years the only place the Porteños
had to go near the river. There are wide pavements,
gardens and monuments. When its coast was filled up,
the Ecological Reserve was born.
ECOLOGICAL RESERVE (RESERVA ECOLOGICA):
it originated in 1972 because of the project to build
a coast highway and also the administrative center of
the city, where the House of Government, Departments,
etc would be placed. In this way, land was gained to the
river and it was filled up with sediments obtained when
the River Plate was dredged. After a stone barrier was
built on the bed of the river, spontaneously and as a
consequence of the periodical floods of the River Plate
sedimentary material and plants from other places were
brought. So scrubs and reeds started to grow and then
some trees appeared and finally a rich aquatic and poultry
fauna began to live there. In 1986 it was declared Natural
Park and Costanera Sur Ecological Reserve by the Deliberative
Council and supported by non-government organizations
such as Wild Life. It has an area of approximately 360
hectares. People can visit it daily, there are even nocturnal
guide visits when there is full moon, following the established
paths. You can enter by the continuation of Viamonte Street
or of Brasil Avenue where the main entrance and an Information
Center are, the final destination in both cases is the
TO THE WINGED LION OF SAINT MARCOS: it
is at the crossing of Macacha Güemes Av. and de los
Italianos Av. It is a typical Venetian figure, which was
donated by the Italian government.
OFFICE OF MUSEUMS OF BUENOS AIRES: it
is the former museum of telecommunications. It is at 851
De los Italianos Av., Tel.:4516-0941/9. Before being a
museum it had been the Munich Pub. It was buit in 1927.
It used to be the fashionable meeting point of that time.
it is opposite The Pergola. It was built in honor to Argentinian
PERGOLA–MONUMENT TO LUIS VIALE: it
is at the crossing of Costanera Sur Av. and Azucena Villaflor
St. (the continuation of Belgrano Av.). It used to be
the perfect place to look at the River Plate. Luis Viale
died in a shipwreck when he gave his lifejacket to a woman
and her daughter, who built this monument in his honor.
BATHING RESORT: it was opened in 1918.
It used to be an important public bathing resort where
Porteño people would gather.
NEREIDAS FOUNTAIN: it is opposite South
Bathing Resort, on Costanera Sur Av. It was made in Rome
in 1902 by the Tucuman sculptress Lola Mora. This piece
of work, which has excellent artistic qualities, produced
an adverse reaction in the population of that time because
of the nudes. So they decided not to appreciate it and
to put it in this distant place. It is made of Carrara
marble and represents the figure of the Goddess of Love
BASTIDAS PARK: it is surrounded by
Calabria Av., Julieta Lanteri Av and Vera Peñaloza
Av. It is a new and extense green space of seven hectares.
Its main characterisitc is the elevation of the ground,
so three hills create different sectors in the park:
the Garden Square, where only roses are grown and
there is also a mount of silver poplars and other
species. The other two spaces are called Children
Square and Sun Square, which are used to play and
sunbathe respectively. These places of different heights
are joined by several paths and stairs.
LADY OF HOPE CHURCH: it is on Aimé
Painé and Vera Peñaloza Av. It belongs to
Argentinian Navy Prefecture. It was opened in 1996.
CASINO: it is at the South Dock. It works
in the ship The star of the Fortune, which is a replica
of the steamships that used to sail the Mississippi River
in the USA. It is open 24 hours a day.